Tuesday, 23 December 2014
Beer Republic The Grub - Yoyogi Uehara
- Seven taps, four of regular macro stuff, one slightly rotating BrewDog tap (which is usually Punk IPA, but occasionally a seasonal appears) and two taps of craft beer. These vary between Japanese craft and imported craft (US or Mikkeller recently). Served in two sizes, glass and pint. Glass is around 330ml I reckon and for the guests, normally costs around ¥800. Pint is a US pint and is around ¥1050.
- Large bottle menu with a focus on Belgian and US stuff. Also a page in the menu of limited stock bottles with some 750ml stuff included.
- Very nice pub food. Big selection of dishes, decent vegetarian selections too. Think they really take a lot of care with their food.
- Looks a bit like a British pub. They have a couple of screens showing sports but with the sound down. Lots of seating.
- They now have a couple of 'happy hours' too. Daily from 17:00-19:00 you can get ¥200 off pints and glasses of their guest craft beers. And you can get the same discount between 03:00 and 04:30 from Monday to Thursday.
Very pleased we have another place in Uehara, really close to the station too and this one is a very different kind of place to Cafe De Tete. It's considerably cheaper and is very much a pub rather than a bar/cafe. They are open extremely late and publish their taplist on facebook daily and there is no cover charge, so if you are fussy (like me) you can keep an eye on it and then just pop in for one when there's something you want to drink. In spite of the limited selection of decent taps, they do seem to care about their beer. They recently were selling three different aged Belgian magnums by the glass as a Christmas special. The staff are very friendly and it's a very relaxed place. The big downside is that smoking is allowed. This isn't such a problem at the moment, as it's a fairly big place and not so busy, but I suspect that one chain-smoking patron on an adjacent table could quite easily ruin your evening. But I don't want to put you off as this is a place that I like going to and I hope succeeds.
Japanese breweries I've seen on tap here:
NEW OPENING HOURS FROM NOV. 2015
Monday-Saturday, 17:00-06:00 (!)
第二小林ビル 2F, 上原 1-32-15, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo